VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files, and various streaming protocols. It is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS, and iPadOS.
However, VLC can also be used to convert your video and audio files following the simple steps below. If you want to convert an audio or video file to another format, you can do so with VLC.
How to Convert Media Files with VLC
- First, open VLC and click the Media tab > Convert/Save.
- Click “Add” that by the right the of File Selection list on the File tab. Browse for the video or audio file you want to be converted and open it.
- Next, click “Convert/Save”.
Recommended: How to Install HarmonyOS 3.0
- Right under Convert, select the video or audio codec as well as the container that you want to convert. For instance, to transcode a video to a standard MP4 format, choose “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)”. To convert an audio file to an MP3 format that will work anywhere, select “Audio – MP3”.
- Click the wrench icon or “Edit Selected Profile” button that is by the right of the Profile list if you want to view more options.
- Click “Browse” and choose a location as well as a filename for the finished file.
- Once you have so done, click “Start” to begin the conversion process.
- The VLC progress bar will slowly but surely fill up as the process continues till it completes.
Recommended: How to Protect Your Identity Online
More VLC Conversion Tips
Note that you can even convert video and audio files as you would in any other application, you could also:
- Convert a video file to MP3 or another audio format and by so doing draw out the audio from the video file.
- Convert a DVD to a video file thereby extracting the contents of the DVD.
- Select your computer’s desktop as a capture device thus creating a screencast.
- Batch-convert multiple files were side-by-side by adding more files to the File Selection list after you have clicked on Convert/Save in the menu.
There’s a lot that VLC is capable of that users don’t know about and that includes Chromecast support.